Next steps; Pictures from previous weeks

We haven’t got a lot done this week due to the rainy weather. In some ways the rain is a good thing: it will help compact the sand underneath the slabs. Regardless, the week wasn’t without its accomplishments. On Monday the plumbing inspector signed off on the rough in plumbing and I back filled over it. On Wednesday I rented a concrete saw and cut a large notch out of the front of the garage stem wall for the garage door. I made the mistake of not taking care of this notch when we did the pour. I simply hadn’t considered it even in the planning stages. Also on Wednesday we put in a radon vent, brought over all of the rigid foam panels for the under the slabs, and we had most of the large dirt piles removed.

Yesterday and today I have been helping John S. out with renovating his bathroom–just a small part of my end of the work trade.

On Sunday we will borrow a small compactor and go over the area that will be under the slabs once more. The crushed stone above and around the plumbing hasn’t been compacted at all. After that we are ready to put down the foam insulation. I fully anticipate being done with the foundation work this upcoming week.

Stem wall evened out with Silpro Masco

The top of the stem wall was rather uneven, however, we corrected the matter using Silpro's Masco product. It looks much better now.

Silpro Masco mixing typos

Although Silpro's Masco worked well, they should probably get someone to proofread their packaging. Three and a half gallons would make a soup like consistency. On the other hand, I don't think quartz crystals would make it any better.

In order to get the height of the stem wall pour accurate we put a continuous strip of wood at the height of the pour and we trowelled to right underneath it. Along with nails (marked by orange spray paint) on the opposite side, it was very easy to get the height of the stem wall right.

In order to get the height of the stem wall pour accurate we put a continuous strip of wood at the height of the pour and we trowelled to right underneath it. Along with nails (marked by orange spray paint) on the opposite side, it was very easy to get the height of the stem wall right.

Hannah helped disassemble the batter boards and concrete forms. It was her first time wearing a tool belt.

Hannah helped disassemble the batter boards and concrete forms. It was her first time wearing a tool belt.

While Hannah and I disassembled the forms, our neighbors cat inspected the levelling job on the house stem wall.

While Hannah and I disassembled the forms, our neighbors cat inspected the levelling job on the house stem wall.

Thom runs the compactor while Peter helps distribute material. It was a hair-raising experience every time we got the bob cat in or out of the pit.

Thom runs the compactor while Peter helps distribute material. It was a hair-raising experience every time we got the bob cat in or out of the pit.

Back filling the garage went quickly

Back filling the garage went quickly

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Next steps; Pictures from previous weeks

  1. Looking good. I talked to my neighbor’s brother-in-law about borrowing the floor jacks. Will let you know what I hear.
    Jay/Dad

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s